Dr. J. A. Cotton, Principal (1903 – 1943)

Dr. J. A. Cotton was the second colored principal. He introduced many changes, such as renaming the school. He dropped the words Normal and Industrial from the school name. Afterwards, it was known as Henderson Institute. Also, under Dr. Cotton’s leadership the Vance County Board of Education relieved the United Presbyterian Church of oversight of Henderson Institute.

< Back